[GRASS5] NVIZ with volume + g.list -> rast3d

Helena hmitaso at unity.ncsu.edu
Fri Nov 12 10:23:49 EST 2004

I compiled the new 57 smoothly and tested nviz volumes again -
they work nicely. I would like to ask others to test it to make sure
that nothing is broken as this was a big addition - you can try
a ready to use location slovakia from here:

http://skagit.meas.ncsu.edu/~helena/grasswork/grassbookdat/slovakia3d.tar.gz

use dem500 for a DEM and there is only one 3D file precip3d.500z50 that you can use
for isosurfaces and cross-sections.
To see the isosurfaces use values between 600 and 1300
(the following image has 700 and 1000 with transparency of approx 100
and 1300 with no transparency) and set the polygon resolution to 3 or less
(note that for resolution 1 you may need to wait a little depending on your machine)
You should get something like this:
http://skagit.meas.ncsu.edu/~helena/grasswork/slovakiavol.jpg

the previous images are here
http://skagit.meas.ncsu.edu/~helena/grasswork/zrzky3dres1.jpg
http://skagit.meas.ncsu.edu/~helena/grasswork/zrazky3d.jpg

Markus, you can add it to the GRASS57 data sets, if you find it without problems,
it is the same one as we have for the book, updated for 57 by importing the sites
as vector data and by adding a grid3 file interpolated in GRASS53 - same parameters
as in the book, except grid3 is output. maybe we should rename it slovakia57
as we have with other locations.

I was able to get it not draw the isosurfaces (the previously reported problem)
when I ran it from a different mapset with no WIND3, it then gives a warning and uses
DEFAULTWIND3 which in my case was set for a different area.
You don't see the warning because nviz writes so
much stuff - so maybe it is time to make all that talking optional (I will
take out the references but Bob, would you be so kind and remove everything else
that is not necessary?)

There is a million little things that need to be done to have a decent
volume support in GRASS but we are getting there,

Helena