[GRASS5] Re: adapting locations to 5.7, volume nviz updates

Markus Neteler neteler at itc.it
Mon Nov 15 11:07:52 EST 2004

Helena,

(cc grass5)

On Sun, Nov 14, 2004 at 09:41:49PM -0500, Helena wrote:
> Markus,
>
> It would be nice to have something like v.migrate (it will reduce the
> questions from people
> who will write their own scripts that won't work for whatever reason),
> especially for larger mapsets or larger files.
> I had one problem with conversion that was already discussed but I don't
> remember the solution. I did v.in.sites and both files that
> I tried had ERROR: Map name is not SQL compliant. Practicaly all of my site
> file names have <.> in it, and one of those that I tried even started with
> numbers.

To address above problems, I have submitted

 - v.convert.all
 - v.in.sites.all

to scripts/ in 5.7-CVS which already include file name mangling in case
that a dot is present in the map name.

> To import the file, I just changed the name for output, but that would mean
> to do all files
> manually. Would it be possible to take care of this with v.migrate? (e.g.
> replace the dots
> in the output name by something else, unless it has
> been already solved by some other means.)

Partially done.
TODO: What if a map name starts with a number? Which prefix should I add?

> I still don't quite understand how do you want to handle the WIND issue, but
> if I understand it correctly, can you and Radim take care of grass57
> startup that will add 3rd dim to DEFAULTWIND when grass57 is started on old location?

I think it was just a proposal.
I don't know where to change libgis to add the three lines to WIND.

> Currently, if nviz does not find WIND3 it looks for DEFAULTWIND3, so
> I will work with Jaro and Tomas to change nviz to read from
> WIND and if it does not have the 3d info, it will read DEFAULTWIND
> which should have the default 3d info generated by the grass57 startup.

Shouldn't this be added on C level? When opening the file *and* 3d info
missing, to add it?

> I am not sure whether we need more discussion on the developers list
> regarding
> a change in WIND file - in case that this change could generate some
> problems it would be good to take care of them now.

Yes, moved to 'grass5'.

> So let me know whether this is what you have proposed to do and we will make
> the necessary changes in nviz (or if I still did not get it, you may need
> to do more explaining).
>
> thank you, I am quite excited about the progress in 5.7 and more people
> starting to use it - it looks great,
>
> Helena

Markus