[GRASS5] Messages and GUI

Michael Barton michael.barton at asu.edu
Wed Nov 17 10:56:19 EST 2004

Hamish and Glynn,

Thanks for copying me. For what it's worth, I guess I don't think a progress
bar is needed for (re)drawing the active monitor from the GIS Manager tool
bar. Unlike a process like v.surf.rst, redrawing the monitor has an inherent
visual indicator of progress--i.e., the map(s) occupy the visual space of
the monitor from top to bottom at varying speed. There is no such inherent
indicator for other processes, so it is helpful to have GRASS provide
one--so you know if there is time to go for a coffee or not ;-)

Michael

On 11/17/04 8:49 AM, "Glynn Clements" <glynn at gclements.plus.com> wrote:

>>> Yes.

>>> Percentages should control a status bar widget which is part of the
>>> dialog window. Warnings should be displayed in the output window,
>>> ideally highlighted. Errors should either be displayed similarly or in
>>> a separate popup.
>>
>> I was talking about when you hit the d.m "(re)draw" button on the left to
>> draw whatever commands you have listed. there isn't necessarily a
>> output window. Not the G_parser() gui windows, they work ok.
>> Also it would run 0-100% many times for each map on the list..
>
> So where does the process' output go in this case?

School of Human, Evolution and Social Change
Arizona State University
Tempe, AZ  85287-2402
USA

voice: 480-965-6262; fax: 480-965-7671