[GRASS5] Let's revive GRASS

Hamish hamish_nospam at yahoo.com
Thu Nov 18 03:43:48 EST 2004

> To make our grass more popular we must make it more easier to be used.

agreed.

> in this regard why we didn't developed a toolbar for example . it is
> a small thing but it will add more power to grass.

d.m in 5.7?
d.dm + tcltkgrass in 5.4?

> secondly: the notion of making every command is a separate program is
> a truly barren and consuming the time and the effort....as a result
> GRASS became a difficult software to deal with... in comparison with
> the other softwares.

I think this is the main thing that makes it both maintainable and run
in a stable way (memory errors are contained in the one module for
example).

Anyway whether modules are their own programs or not is just internal
structure and can be invisible to the user.

> we don't need the people to hear about grass ..then use it for a while
> .. then leave it .

I would push for consistency between modules as a priority-

input=

instead of rast=, elev=, in=, ...

 etc.

Hamish