[GRASS5] Qt or not Qt?

Bernhard Reiter bernhard at intevation.de
Sat Nov 27 13:25:13 EST 2004

On Thu, Nov 18, 2004 at 05:16:34PM +0100, Andrea Antonello wrote:
> I need a small infomation about Qt.

> We have regrettably not found a way of making GPL versions for Windows
> available without risking the very business model we depend upon to be
> able to further develop and support Qt.

> Is this really true?

Yes, Qt is non-free Software for Windows
and Trolltech has mainly a proprietary business model
which is driven by Qt's popularity with KDE.

> I can't believe that QGIS bases on this libs, which are
> not GPL for Windows platforms.

Freegis.org has some alternatives to qgis,
like Thuban and OpenEV that are based on different GUI libraries
but do not have the same level of GRASS support.
(OpenMAP and Jump suffer from the Java-Trap with is also not nice.)

> So, I guess I'm missing some point. Where can
> I find the completely GPL'd?
> Can someone help me?

KDE have quite some success to use the X11 GNU GPLed version
of QT on windows, mostly with cygwin.
They also attempt a port of that version to native w32 api.
http://kde-cygwin.sourceforge.net/

	Bernhard