[GRASS5] Qt or not Qt?

Andrea Antonello moovida at katamail.com
Thu Nov 18 17:15:07 EST 2004

Hi Jens,
thanks you very much for the very exhaustive answer.

Cheers,
Andrea

On Thursday 18 November 2004 22:54, Jens Oberender wrote:
> Hi Andrea
>
> > I need a small infomation about Qt.
> > I found the following on the Trolltech site:
> > Is this really true? I can't believe that QGIS bases on this libs, which
> > are not GPL for Windows platforms. So, I guess I'm missing some point.
> > Where can I find the completely GPL'd?
> > Can someone help me?
>
> QGIS is currently using a QT version which is free for nocommercial use,
> not GPL. This version is included in a new QT book.
> But it's limit compared to the GPL version under Linux.
> Afaik the XML and socket classes (and some others) are missing and that
> limits the furter compilation under windows. Another point is, that it's
> not working with auto* (automake, -conf) build, you have to use a VC++
> project and can't link it with some libraries (geos) as they need auto*.
> One of the QGIS developers (mcoletti) is working at a US university and has
> access to an enterprise QT version. So he will try to build everything for
> windows in the future.
> As I'm not 100% sure with everything I'll forward the mail also to the
> qgis-devel list.
>
> Ciao,
> 	Jens

HydroloGIS - Environmental Open Source Solutions
www.hydrologis.com

Andrea Antonello
Environmental Engineer
mobile:  +393288497722

"Let it be as much a great honour to take as to give learning,
if you want to be called wise."
Skuggsja' - The King's mirror - 1240 Reykjavik