[GRASS5] [bug #2733] (grass) note v.convert in UPGRADING

Markus Neteler neteler at itc.it
Mon Nov 29 05:36:59 EST 2004

 Request Tracker wrote:
> >this bug's URL: http://intevation.de/rt/webrt?serial_num=2733
> >
> >doc/vector/vector.html should say how to convert one's old vector file
> >to new vector files, and visa versa.

This is a document dedicated to GRASS programming, not GRASS usage.

> >Indeed I was sure your vector commands were broken until one day I
> >used (Debian bullhorn.org) g.list and noticed "oldvect"!
> >
> >There is no way returning users will know you changed the vector
> >format unless you tell the whole story in some UPGRADING file, like
> >spamassassin has.

Please write it for us.

> >Anyway, how do I convert my old 5.0 vector files to new ones?
> >Or maybe one just copies them over or something.

http://grass.itc.it/grass57/manuals/html57_user/v.convert.html

I have added recenctly a new script:

 v.convert.all [-r]

which does the job for all maps in the current mapset
(feel free to improve this script).

> >Wait, deep down in the 2002 Blazek conference paper do I finally
> >notice v.convert.  Just wanted to let you know the story.
> >
> >P.S., $ v.convert help
> >Say which versions.  Indeed prepare for future versions...

We cannot mention the zillion GRASS versions by name.

> >Say how to convert backwards too.

Suggestion:
Read the manual *completely*, not just the first two lines:
 "v.convert converts GRASS 5.0/5.3/5.4 vectors into 5.7 vectors."
 "If you need to convert back from 5.7 into the 5.0/5.3 vector format ..."

> >P.S., mention all the new restrictions on vector file names there too!

Done. The new man page of v.convert.all explains that this script
automatically changes dots to underlines (can be extended).

> >Also mention how to convert most or all of ones files in one step, not
> >just one at a time. Especially as the names will probably need removal
> >of now illegal chars.

Done in CVS.

Markus

PS: Consider to send text pieces which we can insert by copy-paste.