[GRASS5] adapting locations to 57, nviz updates

Helena hmitaso at unity.ncsu.edu
Mon Nov 29 09:51:32 EST 2004

Radim Blazek wrote:
> Helena wrote:
>
>> I suggest to follow Glynn's recommendation and preserve the WIND and
>> WIND3
>> as separate files. I just got the bug fix from Tomas as well as
>> an addition of g3.createwind b=0 t=1 dres=1 to nviz if neither
>> WIND3 nor DEFAULTWIND3 is found. I will test it and if it works
>> well for the old locations I will submitt it as soon as possible.
>> We still need an update for grass57 startup with new locations
>> to make the user define DEFAULTWIND3 (or accept some defualt).
>> Also, vertical datum needs to be added to PROJ (even if we do not
>> support any vertical datum transformations).
>>
>> Helena
>

> We should start from user point of view: how should it work?
> I think that user expectation is that region extent is
> shared by 2D and 3D raster 3D modules.
>
> If we follow the 3. option, we probably get even more 'bug'
> reports from users who change the region with d.zoom/g.region,
> r3 module and complain about 'empty' map, because WIND3 is different.
>
> I believe that 2D and 3D regions must be synchronized and that 2.a)/b)
> are not real problem.

yes, they need to be synchronized (although that can be done
with separate files too) - I am now trying it out as a user using
Michael's data and I encourage others who have some volume data to do that too,
to get some feeling what is really needed and how it should behave
from the users point of view. I got into the situation with different WIND3 and WIND
right away, so you are right in predicting the troubles, but I am still
worried about changing the WIND file.

Helena