[GRASS5] Let's release 5.4 asap

Bernhard Reiter bernhard at intevation.de
Sat Oct 2 10:57:12 EDT 2004

On Sat, Oct 02, 2004 at 04:35:52PM +1200, Hamish wrote:

> > > Maybe we could come up with a word more stable than "Testing" for
> > > 5.3?
>

> The trouble lies in the dual meaning of the word stable of course.
>
> To the user, "stable" means bug free.

Not always.
A bug that is documented can be worked around even for users. :)

> To the developers, "stable" means frozen API.
>  (which means theoretically fewer bugs, but as in this case, not always)

> I think having just "Testing" and "Development" versions up will put
> people off. I suggest we use "Final Testing" instead of "Testing"?
> (or something like that) It's a lot more encouraging.

We could use more words like a single paragraph to give people
a feeling what version we do recommend for usage.
For now the recommended version (or when in doubt is): 5.3.

There are many reasons to try and use 5.7, so this is encouraged, too.