[GRASS5] Polygons in GRASS

DrakeGis drakegis at dacafe.com
Sat Oct 16 16:34:52 EDT 2004

Thanks Paul,
   But I still have problems...

>> 1) I'm trying to digitilize polygons with GRASS 5, I use v.digit but the
>> results were not polygons...
>
> Did the areas not snap closed properly? Make sure the scale of your map is
> set properly in the vector map header details (the first think you are
> asked to update in v.digit) as if it is wrong the snapping threshold in
> v.digit will not be a useful value. If your polygons contain lines and not
> area edges (i.e. boundaries) use v.line2area to fix that.

  The Snaps are fine, I'm sure. Anyway I use v.line2area, and then during
the execution of v.to.rast, I saw 0 areas to be converted....

>> 2) I have, in this way, a set of ShapeFiles, that I want to put together
>> in only one vector file, I use v.path after import the shapefiles but
>> the
>> problem is that I miss the "identity" of each polygon, by using r.what I
>> realize that now they have the same name.... Any suggestions ? How can I
>
> There is no easy way to work around that. You have to make sure that all
> your vector entities have unique attribute ID numbers before patching them
> together.

   What you mean by vector entities, I have two polygons... or are
speacking about the lines that form such polygons ?

Stay ahead of the information curve.
Receive GIS news and jobs on your desktop daily.
Subscribe today to the GIS CafeNews newsletter.
[ http://www10.giscafe.com/nl/newsletter_subscribe.php ]
It's informative and essential.