[GRASS5] s. -> v.

Michael Barton michael.barton at asu.edu
Sun Oct 17 13:00:26 EDT 2004

Radim,

I've updated the GIS Manager menu to include these ported sites modules
(v.voroni, v.perturb, v.qcount, v.sample, v.normal) along with other
recently ported/added modules v.in.garmin, r.flow, and i.vpoints

I am assuming that all these operate 'normally'--that is in an autogenerated
tcltk dialog--so that I can have them run using the execute procedure. Let
me know if this is not the case.

Thanks for getting these sites modules into 5.7. I looked at the list of
sites commands for 5.3 and it seems that the only ones that remain not
ported are the buggy ones you mention below and in another email, s.probplt
(also mentioned below), s.delaunay, s.territory, and s.sv.

Since GRASS doesn't have a krieging interpolator, I'm not sure how useful
s.sv would be to port. It makes more sense to me for someone to write a
krieging module (if there is interest in doing so) and including s.sv
functions in that module. I can see how s.delaunay could be useful (though
the voronai polygon module is more useful for me personally). S.territory
could be very useful in archaeology and biology, but should probably be
updated somewhat.

Finally, two questions about r.grow2 that apply both to 5.7 and 5.3. 1) how
does it differ from r.grow (I looked it up in the CVS and there are any docs
yet)? 2) Is this a case where calling r.grow actually starts r.grow2 or is
this a separate command?

Michael

On 10/16/04 3:48 AM, "Radim Blazek" <blazek at itc.it> wrote:

> I have ported s.perturb, s.qcount, s.normal and s.sample
> to 5.7. I have never used those modules before and for
> some of them (e.g. v.qcount) I have no idea for which it could
> be used. If you need those modules, please test them.
>
> BTW: There is a bug in s.normal in 5.3, IMHO, because G_readsites
> reads Z structure, not just *doubles of flt attributes,
> so all calculations are done on first x,y,z instead of all z.
> Which suggests that the module is not used at all.
>
> s.medp has bugs in original code as posted previously.
>
> s.probplt is using gnuplot, which currently is not GRASS requirement
> and I don't want to make it.
>
> I'll look at s.kcv and that's all for sites.
>
> Radim

School of Human, Cultural, and Social Change
PO Box 872402
Arizona State University
Tempe, AZ  85287-2402
USA