[GRASS5] 5.4 release branch

Michael Barton michael.barton at asu.edu
Tue Oct 19 00:10:34 EDT 2004

I think this is great but need to know what to do with a few updates to
tcltkgrass. I guess I'd call them bug fixes. I added in all the new default
compile command modules that have just been added to 5.4 yesterday, but was
waiting for an answer to my question about r.grow2 so I could add it also. I
can commit what I have tomorrow. But since I'm in Arizona, I fear that you
will have already made the switch. I can download a new cvs sandbox for 5.4
when I know the path if your prefer. What do you advise?

Michael

On 10/17/04 8:04 AM, "Paul Kelly" <paul-grass at stjohnspoint.co.uk> wrote:

> On Tue, 12 Oct 2004, Markus Neteler wrote:
>
>> On Mon, Oct 11, 2004 at 09:14:29PM +0100, Paul Kelly wrote:
>>> I think the way forward now is to create a new branch in CVS and prepare
>>> 5.4.0 from it. I'm starting to think now maybe 5.3.1 would be a waste of
>>> effort. I will create a new branch in a few days if there aren't many
>>> objections.
>>
>> Great!
>
> OK, here is the plan:
> On Monday or Tuesday I plan to create a new CVS branch with the latest
> revisions of all files in the HEAD as the branch point. The branch will be
> called 'releasebranch_5_4'.
> There is a script tools/cvsbranch.sh but I decided not to use this, as I
> feel it is more convenient and transparent if the whole source tree is
> included in the release branch and source distributions. I also feel it is
> inappropriate to include a date in the branch tag as the date it was created
> is not significant, and it will be used for all 5.4.x releases.
>
> After the branch has been created, any new features added to the CVS HEAD
> will not be in the 5.4 releases and will probably never be released, as
> development and releases will now all be done in the grass51 CVS module.
> Only bugfixes should be committed to the release branch and if in doubt
> about if something should be added, it should be discussed on the mailing
> list.
>
> After creating the release branch I will update the configure script there
> so it uses the alternate build mechanism by default. Then we can prepare
> the 5.4.0 release candidate for testing by the middle of this week.
>
> Does this sound like a reasonable plan?
>
> Paul

School of Human, Cultural, and Social Change
PO Box 872402
Arizona State University
Tempe, AZ  85287-2402
USA