[GRASS5] adding metadata in GRASS 5.7

Bernhard Reiter bernhard at intevation.de
Fri Sep 3 05:16:21 EDT 2004

On Thu, Sep 02, 2004 at 10:37:58PM +0200, Michel Wurtz wrote:
> Helena wrote:

> [...]
> >It does not have to be so detailed, but a lot of the information provided
> >in this file is essential when this data are to be combined with data
> >from other sources.
> >I am sure that for many users it is important to be able to edit
> >the metadata, especially if one wants to add some comments about
> >the processing that was done to the file within GRASS. So at
> >least to keep the capabilities for handling metadata as in 5.3 is
> >needed.
>
> Why not use the ISO standards for metadata in Grass ?  BTW, it
> seems that XML is becomming a good choice for structuring this
> kind od data.

I am an XML skeptic, because of the hype.
(XML only solves the character set encoding problem, it does not
help you with the contents and its sematics.)

Also I am a meta data standards skeptic because
you cannot really enforce a number of fields to be filled all the time.
But the ability to store annotations (which are meta data in a way)
is very important.

Thus having a place where free text for annotations
could be saved would be an important advantages.