[GRASS5] question about CVS

Paul Kelly paul-grass at stjohnspoint.co.uk
Thu Sep 16 15:51:41 EDT 2004

Hello Michael

You can't rename or delete a directory in CVS (well Bernhard may be able
to do it by directly editing the repository but other developers with CVS
write access cannot, and I think it is good practice not to try to as it
does not show up in the CVS logs then). All you can do is delete all the
files in it and create a new directory with the name you wanted to rename
it to.

I don't think it's necessary in this case though---renaming r.univar to
r.univar.sh in the Makefiles etc. as has been done should be sufficient.
Scripts don't get compiled, simply copied over into the appropriate place
in the dist.$ARCH directory. Perhaps there is an old copy of r.univar that
needs deleted there?

On your other point about the d.m/script directory: you can't create a
directory as part of a CVS commit operation. A new directly has to be
added separately as a preliminary step and the change takes effect
immediately in the CVS repository (i.e. without issuing a cvs commit
command). As it's also impossible to delete a directory I think this
behaviour is kind of strange but it seems to be the way CVS works---unless
I've missed something.

I can't remember the CVS command to create a new directory but you can
look it up in the man page. Probably cvs mkdir or something like that.
After that you must 'cvs add' the files in the new directory before the
commit but probably you know that...

Hope this helps a bit

Paul