QGIS as "official" GRASS viewer (was Re: [GRASS5] d.legend and d.out.png)

Radim Blazek blazek at itc.it
Thu Sep 23 09:41:17 EDT 2004

On Thursday 23 September 2004 11:48, Moritz Lennert wrote:
> Please correct me if I'm wrong, but wouldn't this mean that there will be
> no Windows version, since in order to use QGIS for windows you need a
> non-free version of the qt library ?
>
> On the qt web site:
>
> "The Qt Free Edition is available under two open-source licenses: the GPL
> (GNU Public License), and the QPL (Q Public License). Both these licenses
> are suitable for the development of Free Open Source Software for Linux,
> Unix, and Mac OS X."
>
> i.e. not for windows. Or am I getting something wrong ? How does the new
> QGIS windows version handle the issue ?

QGIS license has exception and it can be built with any version of Qt:

| In addition, as a special exception, the QGIS Development Team gives
| permission to link the code of this program with the Qt library,
| including but not limited to the following versions (both free and
| commercial): Qt/Non-commerical Windows, Qt/Windows, Qt/X11, Qt/Mac, and
| Qt/Embedded (or with modified versions of Qt that use the same license
| as Qt), and distribute linked combinations including the two. You must
| obey the GNU General Public License in all respects for all of the code
| used other than Qt. If you modify this file, you may extend this
| exception to your version of the file, but you are not obligated to do
| so. If you do not wish to do so, delete this exception statement from
| your version.

GRASS libs are unfortunately under pure GPL, so GRASS provider+plugin
for QGIS cannot be distributed in binary form for Windows.

There is a port of Qt for X11 for Cygwin:
http://kde-cygwin.sourceforge.net/qt3-win32/index.php

I think, that v.digit and d.what.vect do not work on Cygwin anyway.

> And what do you mean by "return to 5.0 version of the display system" ?

To use original R_get_location_with_* functions and as a consequence,
remove v.digit, as it becomes unusable.

Radim