QGIS as "official" GRASS viewer (was Re: [GRASS5] d.legend and d.out.png)

Glynn Clements glynn.clements at virgin.net
Thu Sep 23 07:22:23 EDT 2004

Moritz Lennert wrote:

> > I thought, that we could remove al those temporary hacks soon,
> > substitute TclTk GUI in GRASS with QGIS and return to 5.0 version
> > of the display system.

> Please correct me if I'm wrong, but wouldn't this mean that there will be
> no Windows version, since in order to use QGIS for windows you need a
> non-free version of the qt library ?
>
> On the qt web site:
>
> "The Qt Free Edition is available under two open-source licenses: the GPL
> (GNU Public License), and the QPL (Q Public License). Both these licenses
> are suitable for the development of Free Open Source Software for Linux,
> Unix, and Mac OS X."
>
> i.e. not for windows. Or am I getting something wrong ? How does the new
> QGIS windows version handle the issue ?

I suppose that you could build the Unix version of Qt for Cygwin/X11.
That wouldn't be particularly nice; OTOH, tcltkgrass (at least, the
5.3 version) also requires a Unix/X11 version of Tcl/Tk under Cygwin,
so it isn't any worse than the current situation (although Qt is C++,
so getting it to compile is likely to be more problematic than
Tcl/Tk).

> And what do you mean by "return to 5.0 version of the display system" ?

I presume that he's referring to removing the non-blocking
Get_location_with_* functions; that's the only change to the drivers
in 5.7.