QGIS as "official" GRASS viewer (was Re: [GRASS5] d.legend and d.out.png)

Moritz Lennert mlennert at club.worldonline.be
Thu Sep 23 05:48:17 EDT 2004

On Thu, September 23, 2004 11:29, Radim Blazek said:

> I thought, that we could remove al those temporary hacks soon,
> substitute TclTk GUI in GRASS with QGIS and return to 5.0 version
> of the display system.
> In particular:
> - remove lib/gtcltk
> - remove G_gui, G_tcltk
> - remove the loop from R_get_location_with_*
> - remove lib/form
> - remove db/drivers/dialog
> - remove display/d.m
> - remove vector/v.digit

Please correct me if I'm wrong, but wouldn't this mean that there will be
no Windows version, since in order to use QGIS for windows you need a
non-free version of the qt library ?

On the qt web site:

"The Qt Free Edition is available under two open-source licenses: the GPL
(GNU Public License), and the QPL (Q Public License). Both these licenses
are suitable for the development of Free Open Source Software for Linux,
Unix, and Mac OS X."

i.e. not for windows. Or am I getting something wrong ? How does the new
QGIS windows version handle the issue ?

And what do you mean by "return to 5.0 version of the display system" ?

Moritz