[GRASS5] Latest install steps for Grass on Cygwin needed.

Michael Barton michael.barton at asu.edu
Fri Sep 24 11:49:50 EDT 2004

Paul,

The links you list below are problematic. I don't know whether the server is
just down or the URL's have changed.

The parallel page on the grass.itc.it site is

http://grass.itc.it/grass50/binary/windows_cygnus/

However, this is years out of date. It is hard to distinguish what is still
relevant for GRASS 5.3 and what is not.

A more up-to-date page for Cygwin installation is found at

<http://grass.itc.it/grass57/binary/mswindows_cygwin/cygwin_grass.html>

GRASS 5.7 installation instructions can be found nearby at
<http://grass.itc.it/grass57/binary/mswindows_cygwin/>.

Comparable installation instructions for 5.3 (without the Cygwin info) can
be found at
<http://grass.itc.it/grass53/binary/mswindows_cygwin/>

Finally, I ran into a pretty good set of instructions for Cygwin, GRASS 5.3,
and GRASS 5.7 a month back and posted it on my web site.
<http://www.public.asu.edu/~cmbarton/grass.htm>

I hope this is helpful.

There was some discussion recently about cleaning up some of the older
descriptions on the itc web site. Maybe we could ask for that again.

Michael Barton

On 9/24/04 1:59 AM, "Paul Kelly" <paul-grass at stjohnspoint.co.uk> wrote:

> Hello there
>
> On Thu, 23 Sep 2004, Stephen Clark wrote:
>
>> I am working on installing Grass 5.3 under Cygwin and cannot get the X
>> windows installation to work.
>
> Are you using a recent version of Cygwin with the new X.org X server? If
> so make sure and install the XFree86 compatibility package (it is not done
> by default). What exactly is the problem?
>
>> I also have some older Grass versions that do not work correctly and I would
>> like some help uninstalling these Grass Versions.
>
> rm -rf /usr/local/grass5
> rm /usr/local/bin/grass5
> check paths carefully but that should be all there is to it.
>
>> Could someone post some links to installing Grass 5.3 under Cygwin.
>
> Some notes here:
> http://www.geog.uni-hannover.de/grass/grass53/binary/mswindows_cygwin/
> and also item 1 here:
> http://www.geog.uni-hannover.de/grass/grass50/binary/windows_cygnus/cygwin_gra
> ss50bininstall.html
> has the list of Cygwin packages you need to install, which is important.
>
> Paul

Michael Barton, Professor & Curator
School of Human Diversity and Social Change
Arizona State University
Tempe, AZ  85287-2402
USA

voice: 480-965-6262; fax: 480-965-7671