[GRASS5] Latest install steps for Grass on Cygwin needed.

Stephen Clark stephen.clark at focus.ca
Fri Sep 24 11:42:19 EDT 2004

Paul,

I got Grass53 to run using the following :

6.2.2 XFree86 multiwindow mode

In cygwin, launch the XFree86 server at Cygwin Bash prompt with:

export DISPLAY=127.0.0.1:0
XWin -multiwindow  -clipboard &
Now the X Server is listening and will open X related windows in individual
windows. Then start GRASS as usual:
grass5
d.mon x0
d.mon sel=x0

tcltkgrass &
nviz elevation.dem vect=roads &  ---> not working because I do not have this
dataset
This runs GRASS similar to a common MS-Windows application

I am using the "global" dataset for a tutorial and can not view the "eco"
raster dataset using the nviz command:

Running command: (I think)
nviz el=eco

results in the following error:

"The Dynamic link library cygXft-2.dll could not be found in hte specified
path."

I am guessing there is something wrong with my cygwin installation.

Stephen