[GRASS5] [bug #3168] (grass) r.to.vect - broken pipe

guest user via RT grass-bugs at intevation.de
Thu Apr 21 08:57:35 EDT 2005

this bug's URL: http://intevation.de/rt/webrt?serial_num=3168

Request number 3168 was commented on by 'guest' (guest user).
Responding to this message will send mail to the requestor.

			Request Tracker
			rt at intevation.de

Cc: grass5 at grass.itc.it

The other symptom of the bug is that with somewhat smaller raster (1202x1362)
in the same location (latlong,wgs84) r.to.vect manages to convert it to vector
points properly, but fails to create any dbf table - not informing the user
about it.

details:

GRASS 6.1.cvs (wgs84):~ > r.info srtm_odra_patched
 | Layer:    srtm_odra_patched              Date: Tue Apr 19 16:51:00 2005    |
 | Mapset:   srtm_odra                      Login of Creator: trawiarz        |
 | Location: wgs84                                                            |
 | DataBase: /home/grassdata                                                  |
 | Title:     ( srtm_odra_patched )                                           |
 |   Type of Map:  raster              Number of Categories: 494              |
 |   Data Type:    CELL                                                       |
 |   Rows:         1201                                                       |
 |   Columns:      2401                                                       |
 |   Total Cells:  2883601                                                    |
 |        Projection: Latitude-Longitude (zone 0)                             |
 |            N: 52:00:01.5N    S: 50:59:58.5N   Res: 0:00:03                 |
 |            E: 17:00:01.5E    W: 14:59:58.5E   Res: 0:00:03                 |
 |   Range of data:    min =  37 max = 494                                    |
 |   Data Source:                                                             |
 |   Data Description:                                                        |
 |    generated by r.patch                                                    |

GRASS 6.1.cvs (wgs84):~ > g.region -p
projection: 3 (Latitude-Longitude)
zone:       0
datum:      wgs84
ellipsoid:  wgs84
north:      52:00:03N
south:      50:59:57N
west:       15:51:57E
east:       17:00:03E
nsres:      0:00:03
ewres:      0:00:03
rows:       1202
cols:       1362

GRASS 6.1.cvs (wgs84):~ > r.to.vect input=srtm_odra_patched
output=srtm_odra_patched_szerszy feature=point
 100%
Building topology ...
1635302 primitives registered
Building areas:  100%
0 areas built
0 isles built
Attaching islands:
Attaching centroids:  100%
Topology was built.
Number of nodes     :   1635302
Number of primitives:   1635302
Number of points    :   1635302
Number of lines     :   0
Number of boundaries:   0
Number of centroids :   0
Number of areas     :   0
Number of isles     :   0
GRASS 6.1.cvs (wgs84):~ > v.info srtm_odra_patched_szerszy
 | Layer:    srtm_odra_patched_szerszy      Organization:                     |
 | Mapset:   srtm_odra                      Source Date:                      |
 | Location: wgs84                          Name of creator:                  |
 | Database: /home/grassdata                                                  |
 | Title:                                                                     |
 | Map Scale:  1:1                                                            |
 | Map format: native                                                         |
 |   Type of Map:  Vector (level: 2)                                          |
 |   Number of points:       1635302         Number of areas:      0          |
 |   Number of lines:        0               Number of islands:    0          |
 |   Number of boundaries:   0               Number of faces:      0          |
 |   Number of centroids:    0               Number of kernels:    0          |
 |   Map is 3D:              0                                                |
 |   Number of dblinks:      1                                                |
 |   Projection: Latitude-Longitude (zone 0)                                  |
 |            N: 52.000        S: 51.000                                      |
 |            E: 17.000         W: 15.866                                     |
 |            B: 0.000         T: 0.000                                       |
 |   Digitize threshold: 0.00000                                              |
 |   Comments:                                                                |

but there is no atribute table as I said:

GRASS 6.1.cvs (wgs84):~ > d.vect srtm_odra_patched_szerszy
GRASS 6.1.cvs (wgs84):~ > d.what.vect -x
Building spatial index ...
 100%

Buttons
 Left:  what's here
 Right: quit

16:26:52.1875E(E) 51:23:59.4N(N)

srtm_odra_patched_szerszy in srtm_odra  Point
Layer: 1
category: 981194
driver: dbf
database: /home/grassdata/wgs84/srtm_odra/dbf/
table: srtm_odra_patched_szerszy
key column: cat
DBMI-DBF driver error:
Table 'srtm_odra_patched_szerszy' doesn't exist.
Error in db_open_select_cursor()

WARNING: Cannot open select cursor
Cannot open select cursor:<BR>'select * from srtm_odra_patched_szerszy where
cat = 981194'<BR>on database '/home/grassdata/wgs84/srtm_odra/dbf/' by driver
'dbf'<BR>
Done.

However a little smaller region of a raster (1202x1202) is always processed
properly into vector points - both the geometry and dbf table.

I'm using Mdk 10.1, Barton 3000, 1GB dual channel RAM, 512 MB swap, over 90 GB
of hdd space in my home dir and grassdata dir.

Maciek