[GRASS5] Re: [GRASSLIST:7895] Re: Hutchinson's Adaptive Alogrithm for sound DEMs?

Jaro Hofierka hofierka at geomodel.sk
Mon Aug 15 16:47:30 EDT 2005

Maciek Sieczka wrote:

>> (you should keep in mind that although you see your watercourses drawn as
>> lines they are actually stored as points so it is more the issue to hide
>> some of the processing from the user and make it more automated, because
>> you do have points and you adjust their elevation as you go through an
>> iterative interpolation process)
>

> I understand. But it's not "some processing". It is a *huge* amount of
> processing. And because this is so much work to prepare watercourses and
> fault lines as elevation points manually, this option is never used in real
> applications, only possible in theory.

As I mentioned in my previous message to the list, there is no need for
a "huge" amount of work. But of course, it always requires digitized
lines that you want to include in the interpolation.
However, it still doesn't solve the problem completely, as flat areas
(like lowlands) usually have too complex microrelief to be solved using
a simple stream enforcement.
Moreover, rivers sometimes do not follow exactly adjacent terrain as the
river flows in the channel, etc.

It really makes me wonder if LIDAR can provide sufficiently precise data
for such hydrological applications. I think the land cover (e.g. trees)
can pose a problem as a precision in such areas can be decreased
substantially in relation to areas with no cover.

Jaro