[GRASS5] grass directory structure and locations

Dennis Veatch dveatch at woh.rr.com
Tue Aug 16 06:28:01 EDT 2005

Hopefully I am on the right mail list, if not then please point me elsewhere.

A little background on my distro. Running a source based distro called
Lunar-Linux ( http://www.lunar-linux.org/ ) and I am creating some install
modules for grass, postgis and qgis. They all install fine but I have noticed
one thing.

One of the abilities of Lunar-Linux is to perform integrity checks on
installed items. These checks consist of discovering missing binary
executable, libraries and header files, modified binaries and libraries,
misowned symlinks to files and broken executable and libraries.

When I run these checks gqis fails sanity checks because the grass libs seem
to be in a non-standard location. At least that is how it appears to me. In
my limited experience an apps libs usually go in /usr/lib or /lib.

And I see that the grass install essentially creates it's own tree under /usr.
One thing I have not done yet is to add /usr/grass to ld.so.conf. Which I'm
sure would take of the failed sanity checks. But I am curious as to why grass
does not use the "normal" directory locations of Unix/UNIX/Linux.

Any enlightenment is greatly appreciated.