[GRASS5] grass directory structure and locations

Stephan Holl holl at gdf-hannover.de
Tue Aug 16 06:37:01 EDT 2005

Hello Dennis,

On Tue, 16 Aug 2005 06:28:01 -0400 Dennis Veatch <dveatch at woh.rr.com>
wrote:

> Hopefully I am on the right mail list, if not then please point me
> elsewhere.
>
> A little background on my distro. Running a source based distro
> called Lunar-Linux ( http://www.lunar-linux.org/ ) and I am creating
> some install modules for grass, postgis and qgis. They all install
> fine but I have noticed one thing.
>
> One of the abilities of Lunar-Linux is to perform integrity checks on
> installed items. These checks consist of discovering missing binary
> executable, libraries and header files, modified binaries and
> libraries, misowned symlinks to files and broken executable and
> libraries.
>
> When I run these checks gqis fails sanity checks because the grass
> libs seem to be in a non-standard location. At least that is how it
> appears to me. In my limited experience an apps libs usually go
> in /usr/lib or /lib.
>
> And I see that the grass install essentially creates it's own tree
> under /usr. One thing I have not done yet is to add /usr/grass to
> ld.so.conf. Which I'm sure would take of the failed sanity checks.
> But I am curious as to why grass does not use the "normal" directory
> locations of Unix/UNIX/Linux.
>
> Any enlightenment is greatly appreciated.

Just a clue: You can safeley erase GRASS from your computer with
deleting /usr/grass/* and you are done.

just my 0.02¢
--
GDF Hannover - Solutions for spatial data analysis and remote sensing
Hannover Office      -     Mengendamm 16d      -     D-30177 Hannover
Internet: www.gdf-hannover.de      -      Email: holl at gdf-hannover.de
Phone : ++49-(0)511.39088507       -        Fax: ++49-(0)511.39088508