[GRASS5] grass directory structure and locations

Dennis Veatch dveatch at woh.rr.com
Tue Aug 16 06:54:29 EDT 2005

On Tuesday 16 August 2005 06:37 am, Stephan Holl wrote:
> Hello Dennis,
>
> On Tue, 16 Aug 2005 06:28:01 -0400 Dennis Veatch <dveatch at woh.rr.com>
>
> wrote:
> > Hopefully I am on the right mail list, if not then please point me
> > elsewhere.
> >
> > A little background on my distro. Running a source based distro
> > called Lunar-Linux ( http://www.lunar-linux.org/ ) and I am creating
> > some install modules for grass, postgis and qgis. They all install
> > fine but I have noticed one thing.
> >
> > One of the abilities of Lunar-Linux is to perform integrity checks on
> > installed items. These checks consist of discovering missing binary
> > executable, libraries and header files, modified binaries and
> > libraries, misowned symlinks to files and broken executable and
> > libraries.
> >
> > When I run these checks gqis fails sanity checks because the grass
> > libs seem to be in a non-standard location. At least that is how it
> > appears to me. In my limited experience an apps libs usually go
> > in /usr/lib or /lib.
> >
> > And I see that the grass install essentially creates it's own tree
> > under /usr. One thing I have not done yet is to add /usr/grass to
> > ld.so.conf. Which I'm sure would take of the failed sanity checks.
> > But I am curious as to why grass does not use the "normal" directory
> > locations of Unix/UNIX/Linux.
> >
> > Any enlightenment is greatly appreciated.
>
> Just a clue: You can safeley erase GRASS from your computer with
> deleting /usr/grass/* and you are done.
>
> just my 0.02¢

That's a fine 0.02¢ but sarcasm doesn't really answer my question. It was not
my intent to complain or criticize. If that is how it comes across, I offer
my apologies. I was only seeking understanding.

If your response is truly how such questions are treated perhaps I will
consider your proposal. However, I do have more respect for the developers of
grass than to just toss it into the bit bucket as you suggest. In the mean
time I will wait for someone to respond with something more constructive.