[GRASS5] R.flow again

Michael Barton michael.barton at asu.edu
Tue Dec 6 02:37:33 EST 2005

OK, now something even stranger is happening with r.flow.

I just did a script to create a net erosion/deposition map using USPED. I¹ve
tested it on the Spearfish data set. It includes r.flow, running from the
CLI of course.

If I zoom into to a very small area (205x172), it works like a charm. But if
I zoom out a little bit, r.flow bombs with the error below.

If I try the same zoom levels with the CLI for r.flow, it works fine. Both
are actually running r.flow via the CLI. However, the script is started from
a tcltk dialog. Does anyone have any idea what is going on here? This script
is nice to automate a tedious set of calculations.

Michael

Run from CLI only

GRASS 6.1.cvs (spearfish60_valencia):~ > g.region -p
projection: 1 (UTM)
zone:       13
datum:      nad27
ellipsoid:  clark66
north:      4921760
south:      4919710
west:       600720
east:       602440
nsres:      10
ewres:      10
rows:       205
cols:       172
GRASS 6.1.cvs (spearfish60_valencia):~ > r.flow elevation.10m at PERMANENT
dsout=test
r.flow Version 13 August 1995, update/fix October 1999

Opening output files...done.
Allocating memory: elevation, aspect, density, e/w distances, quantization
tolerances.
Reading input files: elevation...
.
Precomputing: tangents, e/w distances, quantization tolerances, interpolated
border elevatio
ns, aspects.
Working...done.
Writing density file...WARNING: 'cell/test' was found in more mapsets (also
found in user1).
done.
Closing files...done.
De-allocating memory...done.
GRASS 6.1.cvs (spearfish60_valencia):~ > g.region -p
projection: 1 (UTM)
zone:       13
datum:      nad27
ellipsoid:  clark66
north:      4923130
south:      4918340
west:       599570
east:       603590
nsres:      10
ewres:      10
rows:       479
cols:       402
GRASS 6.1.cvs (spearfish60_valencia):~ > r.flow elevation.10m at PERMANENT
dsout=test
r.flow Version 13 August 1995, update/fix October 1999

Opening output files...done.
Allocating memory: elevation, aspect, density, e/w distances, quantization
tolerances.
Reading input files: elevation...
.
Precomputing: tangents, e/w distances, quantization tolerances, interpolated
border elevatio
ns, aspects.
Working...done.
Writing density file...WARNING: 'cell/test' was found in more mapsets (also
found in user1).
done.
Closing files...done.
De-allocating memory...done.
GRASS 6.1.cvs (spearfish60_valencia):~ >

Run from script at 479x472 (as above) and r.flow bombs with the following
message

Opening output files...done.
Allocating memory: elevation, aspect, density, e/w distances, quantization
tolerances.
Reading input files: elevation...
.
Precomputing: tangents, e/w distances, quantization tolerances, interpolated
border elevatio
ns, aspects.
Working...done.
Writing density file...WARNING: 'cell/test' was found in more mapsets (also
found in user1).
done.
Closing files...done.
De-allocating memory...done.
GRASS 6.1.cvs (spearfish60_valencia):~ > r.usped &
[14] 2283
[13]   Exit 1                  r.usped
GRASS 6.1.cvs (spearfish60_valencia):~ > too many nested evaluations
(infinite loop?)
    (procedure "GlobalVar::exists" line 1)
    invoked from within
"GlobalVar::exists $_widget($path,var)"
    (procedure "ProgressBar::_modify" line 4)
    invoked from within
"ProgressBar::_modify .progress"
    ("eval" body line 1)
    invoked from within
"eval ProgressBar::$cmd .progress $args"
    (procedure ".progress" line 1)
    invoked from within
"$opt($dlg,progress) _modify"
    (procedure "progress" line 7)
    invoked from within
"progress $dlg $val"
    invoked from within
"if [eof $fh] {
                close $fh
        } else {
                set str [gets $fh]
                append str "\n"
                if { [fblocked $fh] } { set str [read $fh] }
                while {[set idx [string f..."
    (procedure "prnout" line 5)
    invoked from within
"prnout 1 file16"

Reduce region to 205x172 and run again from same script

Works fine

Michael
Arizona State University
Tempe, AZ 85287-2402