[GRASS5] d.vector problems Was: v.buffer problems...

Wolf Bergenheim wolf+grass at bergenheim.net
Wed Dec 7 04:55:18 EST 2005

On 07/12/05 10:23, Radim Blazek wrote:
> On 12/7/05, Wolf Bergenheim <wolf+grass at bergenheim.net> wrote:
>
>>Hi, list!
>>
>>I guess that this is a known issue, but when doing v.buff on lines that
>>form a closed shape v.buffer will extend the buffer to the whole
>>"inside" as well.
>

> That is correct in  my opinion, buffer for a line is created for both sides.
> If the lines represent closed polygons you should convert them to areas.

not if they are roads and form a grid. In this case I'd like to form a
buffer zone around a road network, but I also get the areas in between
the roads, which is something I don't want, and is perhaps not quite
right? When I convert the road vectors to raster maps and run r.buffer
on them I get the correct result, however when I convert this raster to
a vector area I get the same weird filling effect. This got me
thinking... perhaps it is not v.buff that does wrong, but perhaps d.vect
is broken instead. Next I opened the buffered vectors in qgis, and there
they appear properly. So the filling is done by d.vect, or is it
something else? Anyway there is some error somewhere ):

I'll put some examples on te web soon to ilustrate what I mean.

--

<:3 )---- Wolf Bergenheim ----( 8:>