[GRASS5] r.in.gdal bug?

Sören Gebbert soerengebbert at gmx.de
Thu Dec 8 07:32:01 EST 2005

On Thursday 08 December 2005 09:16, Stephan Holl wrote:
> Hello Sören,
>
> On Thu, 8 Dec 2005 01:49:17 +0100 Sören Gebbert <soerengebbert at gmx.de>
> wrote:
>
> > Dear developers,
> > im writing a small shell script to download and import Landsat TM
> > Layer and other data availible from NASA WMS service into GRASS. Im
> > downloading the data with wget and try to import it with r.in.gdal.
> > The downloaded dataformat is geotiff.
> >
> > But sometime after downloading the data, r.in.gdal produce this error:
> >
> > ERROR 1:
> > TIFFReadDirectory:/home/soeren/grassdaten/Harz/data/.tmp/AMD64bIT/18773.0/Image_global_mosaic_base_visual_2164_3258:
> > Can not read TIFF directory count
>
> Can you try updating to the recent gdal-version (1.3.1) and see if the
> error persists with the same geotiff which throws an error right now?

I've updated gdal to version 1.3.1 with internal tiff and geotiff support, but the error
dont disappear. But after many tests, i found the reason: the NASA WMS server http://wms.jpl.nasa.gov/
dont provide the full dataset sometimes and stops the download bevor the geotiff file is
complete?! Thats the reason r.in.gdal fails.

Thanks for your answer,
regards
Soeren