[GRASS5] Platform for next generation UI

Daniel Calvelo dca.gis at gmail.com
Wed Dec 28 04:46:49 EST 2005

Thanks for the mind sushi, Michael.

I'm not sure I'm hammering the right nail here, but I'd suggest that
whatever the toolkit chosen, we strive first to define a proper
interface/API between the GUI front-end and the traditional CLI
front-end. What I mean is that there is a balance between a) the GUI
driving commands and b) the GUI managing state for the rest of GRASS.

The way the GRASS plugin for QGIS and g.parsers --xml-description
provide a "glue" API between both worlds has its limitations,
especially wrt procedure-oriented vs. data-oriented manipulation.
Thinking out loud, I'd say that the hard job is defining how the
command's published intent is hooked to an interface description, a la
glade or XRC (that's wxWidgets interface description language).

Not sure I'm making much sense. It's late. Bed's calling. Be back later.

Daniel.

--
-- Daniel Calvelo Aros