[GRASS5] Platform for next generation UI

Glynn Clements glynn at gclements.plus.com
Thu Dec 29 07:11:41 EST 2005

Daniel Calvelo wrote:

> I'm not sure I'm hammering the right nail here, but I'd suggest that
> whatever the toolkit chosen, we strive first to define a proper
> interface/API between the GUI front-end and the traditional CLI
> front-end. What I mean is that there is a balance between a) the GUI
> driving commands and b) the GUI managing state for the rest of GRASS.

As you've mentioned state management, this would be a good place to
point out that it would be useful to be able to override a lot of the
built-in statefulness (e.g. WIND, $GISRC settings, data stored on
monitor "pads", etc).

Those features make sense for command-line usage, where you don't want
to have to manually specify dozens of parameters for every command.
But they can get in the way of other uses. In particular, it makes it
hard to safely run multiple programs concurrently.