[GRASS5] Re: [Fwd: whinging about GRASS again]

Markus Neteler neteler at itc.it
Tue Feb 1 09:51:22 EST 2005

On Tue, Feb 01, 2005 at 08:08:30AM +0100, Paolo Cavallini wrote:
> A suggestion to make things easier for a newby: in the startup screen, the way
> EPSG codes are selected could be improved (e.g. with a pull-down menu, or
> something similar);

Fully agreed. First step is even to add a new field for towgs84 parameters
in case that they are missing in the EPSG file (as it does for my
favourite projections).
Better: Use a different file (see QGIS-CVS for inspirations).

Only: I don't know how to program tcl/tk and have no time to
learn it.

Voluteers needed.
General suggestion: *Make* little things instead of proposing big
changes. Above suggestion from PC + mine could be implemented in
maybe 0.5h by someone knowing tcl/tk. Unfortunately it won't
happen... sigh.

> also, perhaps presenting the user with a default choice,
> while it does not make much sense for real GIS users, could make like easier
> for the curious. Finally, a button "How to set up a location?" with the very
> basics might be useful.

Enjoy the help button... and send an improved text.

But another button might be interesting:
"create location from data set". This can be done in a few minutes
modifying the underlying lib/init/make_location_epsg_g57.sh script
as g.proj permits to create locations from arbitrary files supported
by GDAL/OGR which contain projection information.

This would even solve a problem for a majority of users.
Can be done by a person who is able to use g.proj + a few
script changes.

Still pessimistic to find a tcl/tk programmer who makes a clean-up
of the start screen layout (idea on paper on my table).
And adds the desired button for calling the "create location from data set"
script.

Any hope?

 Markus