[GRASS5] New help button - please text review

Mark P. Line mark at polymathix.com
Wed Feb 2 20:41:38 EST 2005

Hamish said:

> One takes input piped from stdin, the other from a filename. (?)
>
> xmessage can't figure this out automatically and needs to be told which
> one it is getting.
>
> I don't know how to get a shell script to do both. "read" strips
> whitespace from between words, how else to read from stdin?
>
> Again I'd push for a g.message C module which takes input from stdin or
> a file and makes a Tcl display window ala a module started with no
> options.

Sorry, I was sleeping during the first part of this thread, so I'm
probably missing some of the requirements for what you're looking for. But
is this where you'd go like

     cat $* | xmessage -file -

in bash? In a script, this should work whether you give a filename on the
command line or just let it read stdin. (It'll actually concatenate any
number of named files, obviously.)

-- Mark

Mark P. Line
Polymathix