[Pkg-grass-general] Fw: Re: [GRASS5] Re: [Fwd: whinging about GRASS again]

Andrea Antonello moovida at katamail.com
Thu Feb 3 10:23:38 EST 2005

> JGrass is on my TODO list - after Jump and Deegree is packaged with
> their dependencies.
>
> JGrass has a lot of dependencies which are not yet in Debian. So it will
> be a lot of work before one will actually see the JGrass package in Debian.

Hy Wolfgang,
from time to time I test JGrass with the Kaffe and SableVM, but it doesn't
work yet. There are some problems with JNI and openGL calls if I remember
right. I will soon do some test again and let you know. Hamish pointed me to
Classpath and Jikes, but I had no time to look into it now.
However, as you point out, there are a lot of other projects involved and that
will be a lot of work.

Andrea

> > Begin forwarded message:
> >
> > Date: Tue, 1 Feb 2005 19:01:18 +0100
> > From: Andrea Antonello <moovida at katamail.com>
> > To: grass5 at grass.itc.it
> > Cc: "Mark P. Line" <mark at polymathix.com>
> > Subject: Re: [GRASS5] Re: [Fwd: whinging about GRASS again]
> >
> > On Tuesday 01 February 2005 18:19, Mark P. Line wrote:
> >>I'd be working about 10 times faster if I could use Java/Swing for GUI
> >>work, but that would introduce Yet Another Platform (albeit one that
> >>works on everything from cellphones to mainframes).
> >
> > I agree completely, even if I know I will incur the wrath of the gods in
> > this list. Nevertheless I would suggest people knowing java to have a
> > look at this:
> > http://www.hydrologis.com/html/jgrass/screenshots/images.html
> > Please remember that we try to extend GRASS, not to kill it (yes I am
> > afraid :o)).
> >
> > If someone is interested in trying the installation:
> > http://www.hydrologis.com/html/jgrass/jgrass_en.html
> >
> > This is just an appetizer. In a (hopefully) short while we will
> > officially
> > announce the first release and open the CVS to interested people. BTW
> > the
> > source is contained in the installation package.
> >
> > Cheers,
> > Andrea

HydroloGIS - Environmental Open Source Solutions
www.hydrologis.com

Andrea Antonello
Environmental Engineer
mobile:  +393288497722

"Let it be as much a great honour to take as to give learning,
if you want to be called wise."
Skuggsja' - The King's mirror - 1240 Reykjavik