[GRASS5] [bug #2968] (grass) Re: [Pkg-grass-general] Please use libtool soname versioning

Glynn Clements glynn at gclements.plus.com
Mon Feb 7 15:21:20 EST 2005

Request Tracker wrote:

> this bug's URL: http://intevation.de/rt/webrt?serial_num=2968

> > If using libtool isn't palatable,
> > can we at least adopt the versioning scheme beginning at libgrass0.0.0?
>
> Maybe yes. This should be discussed on the GRASS developers list (note
> that the bug report communication is automatically forwarded to the list).

Implementing soname versioning (at least for Linux) is simple enough;
just add:

	-Wl,-soname,$(SONAME)

to the linking command for building shared libraries, where $(SONAME)
is the library name, e.g.:

	SONAME = $(SHLIB_PREFIX)$(SHLIB_NAME)$(SHLIB_SUFFIX).$(SHLIB_VERSION)

[SHLIB_VERSION would need to be defined in any Makefile which includes
Lib.make.]

The main problem is ensuring that developers actually increment the
version whenever they make an incompatible change (otherwise there is
no point in having versioning).