[GRASS5] 6.0.0 beta2

Hamish hamish_nospam at yahoo.com
Tue Feb 8 00:16:06 EST 2005

> Radim Blazek wrote:
>
> > or you can download it from cvs:
> >
> >   cvs -z3 co -r grass_6_0_0_beta_2 grass51
>
> 1). Does this imply that 6.0b2 requires the 5.1 codebase?

No. The code base merge detailed on the "timeline" web page happened
November 9 2004.

If it is easier, just grab the .tar.gz from:
  http://grass.ibiblio.org/grass60/source/grass-6.0.0beta2.tar.gz

(or a local mirror)

> 2). Has the merge to 6.0 that's been talked about happened yet?  (Last
> note on the subject from Hamish - (02-03-05) - says "maybe we should
> wait until after 6.0.0beta2 is tagged and tarballed).

No, that was refering to renaming the internal directory structure of
the cvs so the checkout command would be "cvs co grass6" not
"cvs co grass51".. this is to make the versioning less confusing.
(grass 5.1 IS grass 5.7 which 6.0 is pulled from)

> 4). If I have the 5.1 codebase (6.0b1) from a week and a half ago,
> what is the best way to get just an update?

generally:

cd /to/where/grass/source/is
cvs -z3 update -dP

gets you the latest version of everything.

I put a file called .cvsrc in my home directory containing the
following instructions:

-z3
diff -u
update -dP

Then just "cvs update" works correctly.

>    4.1).  or should I grab the whole thing again?

generally cvs update is less to download, but for testing a new release
downloading the source distribution whole certainly has its merits -
recreating the exact experience most users will face.

> Sorry, its just that the versioning is getting a little confusing.

We are working our way out of that. The "grass51" cvs directory is
pretty much the only non-logical (on some level) bit left I think, and
that will be taken care of in the near future hopefully.

regards,
Hamish