[GRASS5] Re: launch html browser as a new process & free the command line

Markus Neteler neteler at itc.it
Thu Feb 10 06:48:17 EST 2005

On Thu, Feb 10, 2005 at 07:07:09AM +0100, Stefan Paulick wrote:
> Huidae Cho schrieb:
>
> >On Thu, Feb 10, 2005 at 04:21:40PM +1300, Hamish wrote:
> >
> >>should we expect new users to be educated in the ways of unix and
> >>backgrounding jobs?
> >
> >No, we shouldn't. But we cannot expect users to use only graphical
> >browsers.
> Using GRASS in a non-graphical environment seems not to be very common. So
> I see no reason why not demanding a graphical browser as mandatory.

It must be at least selectable. There are known users (let's say,
in a major city where migration to GNU/Linux is done) who depend on
a text only version option as a requirement. If GRASS cannot be run
in text mode, they may not use it. This is a sort of minimum
requirement for them.

> Backgrounding jobs should be known - > tcltkgrass &. (even I do ;-)) )
> Maybe some note in the wiki should be added.

Please go ahead...

Markus