[GRASS5] Re: launch html browser as a new process & free the command line

Michael Tiemann tiemann at redhat.com
Thu Feb 10 12:08:21 EST 2005

On Thu, 2005-02-10 at 12:48 +0100, Markus Neteler wrote:
> On Thu, Feb 10, 2005 at 07:07:09AM +0100, Stefan Paulick wrote:
> > Huidae Cho schrieb:

> > >No, we shouldn't. But we cannot expect users to use only graphical
> > >browsers.
> > Using GRASS in a non-graphical environment seems not to be very common. So
> > I see no reason why not demanding a graphical browser as mandatory.
>

> It must be at least selectable. There are known users (let's say,
> in a major city where migration to GNU/Linux is done) who depend on
> a text only version option as a requirement. If GRASS cannot be run
> in text mode, they may not use it. This is a sort of minimum
> requirement for them.

Eric Raymond has been working on a package to replace man pages with
XML/HTML and to change the man utility so that it can render classic
text-only "man" pages that come from XML/HTML.  The benefit of this
approach is that both text-only, browser-based, and more advanced text
rendering environments can all provide 100% functionality (relative to
themselves) from 100% consistent documentation.  Might be worthwhile
seeing if GRASS should plan an intercept for this approach.

I've copied Eric, in case he'd like to add anything.