[GRASS5] Temporary raster file names (+G3d)

Joel Peter William Pitt pittj2 at lincoln.ac.nz
Tue Feb 15 00:15:54 EST 2005

Hi all,

Just wondering how I should go about creating temporary
raster files that other commands can access...

I have a controlling module (r.dispersal) that reads
a xml model definition and command line options.
 From the control module several other modules that
alter a raster file are invoked successively. However
I don't know where to store these intermediary raster
files.

Using G_tempfile gives me a full pathname to a file,
but this can't be opened using the normal
G_open_cell_old and G_open_raster_new.

I can think of many ways to circumvent these problems,
but I wanted to know what fits most closely with
the GRASS design. I'd like to be able to submit
my working invasive species toolkit to GRASS once it is
complete.

Also, since I'm creating a time series of raster maps
would a 3d raster file be appropriate for storing these?

Joel