[GRASS5] Temporary raster file names (+G3d)

Helena hmitaso at unity.ncsu.edu
Sun Feb 13 23:50:02 EST 2005

Joel,

I don't have an answer for your temp files question
but it would be great if you could explore the possibility
of storing time series of 2D raster files as a g3d file -
we have discussed this issue a lot because all hydrologic
and pollutant transport models need it as well as any
other dynamic modeling and storing it as g3d file came up
quite often as a viable option. However, there is very little support
for 3d rasters right now, although r3.to.r2 and r2.to.r3 would be a good
start - just to pack and upack the time series to make the
mapsets more manageable. Then just few scripts could make it relatively
easy to view the data through xganim or assign a common color table,
etc.
If you could look at it and let us know whether you think it
would be a good idea and what needs to be done to make it work,
it might be a great addition for the next grass release.

Helena