[GRASS5] [bug #2927] (grass) d.what.vect - broken pipe

Maciek Sieczka werchowyna at pf.pl
Thu Jan 27 06:19:52 EST 2005

From: "Hamish" <hamish_nospam at yahoo.com>

>+ sleep(1);
>
>> Unless this breaks something, can we apply it so that all systems can
>> use the form mode?
>
> when tried in the past this made response time horrible.

I tried the "sleep(1)" patch and it did the trick on Mandrake 10.1. As
expected the response time is 1 second worse for each feature, but only for
the *first* query. Each following query result pops up in a reasonable,
standard pace. Expected too?

Also thanks to this "patch" v.digit became more usable - now the atribute
table pops up automatically when a new feature is digitized and at last it
is possible to edit the atributes table without having to click dozens of
times which was the case so far. Again, each first call is 1 delayed second,
each next on normal pace - until the attribute window is closed.

I don't think it's a good idea to apply it into CVS for good as it is not a
real solution, but on the other hand it would be very practical if Debian,
Mandrake 10 and 10.1 users could be somehow informed that such a dirty
workaround is possible temporarily. How can this be done?

Anyway, does anybody have an idea what the hack that on e.g. Mandrake 9.2
this strange patch is not necessary? And also why does this bug attack less
frequently on Grass57 (exp_2004_12_18) than on Grass60 on my Mdk 10.1?

Maciek