[GRASS5] GRASS 6.0.1 release schedule

Hamish hamish_nospam at yahoo.com
Sun Jul 3 05:04:55 EDT 2005

> >> I think that it's time to get out GRASS 6.0.1 bugfix release.
> >> The 6.0.1 version should be in a good shape now.
..
> > To recall a bug list from a previous email:
..
> >> critical bugs to fix:
..
> > others?
..
> Several.

Of course there are many unfixed bugs that are important to individual
users, I was mostly refering to severe release critical bugs that we
should not release a new version without fixing first. There can always
be a 6.0.2 release with more bug fixes sometime in the future, but don't
hold up the current release to fix every single bug in the software,
otherwise it will never happen.

> Not sure if really none of them has been fixed - I've been
> using a  month old 6.1 CVS and can't grab a fresh one right now
> (modem).

cd grass61-source
make distclean
cvs login
cvs -z3 update -dP

That only downloads updated source code in compressed form.
See the GRASS/CVS web page for info on anonymous login.

> Besides,  none of the comments in the bugtracker proves any
> has been fixed thus it  would be good to take a look at them and
> evantually close.

Yes. (guilty as anyone)

Another important system bug I just remembered -- the help pages and the
GUIs do not use the opt->key_desc descriptions. !!

e.g.
G> d.barscale --help
Usage:
 d.barscale [-mflt] [bcolor=name] [tcolor=name] [at=x,y]

d.barscale help page:
 SYNOPSIS
 d.barscale [-mflt] [bcolor=string] [tcolor=string] [at=float]

all the hinting is lost & "at=x,y" becomes "at=float". Thus the help
pages are less helpful and even misleading as to what option input
should look like. Same with the module GUI frontends (float, optional).

Worse is d.legend where [at=bottom,top,left,right] becomes [at=float]
in the help page and tcltk GUI. Unless the user stumbles across --help,
they are left to guess past the errors. Not good.

thus

"g.module --html-description" is wrong.
"g.module --tcltk" is wrong.

but

"g.module --interface-description" is correct.

I think it is important to fix this before a 6.0.1 release.

Hamish