[GRASS5] GRASS 6.0.1 release schedule

Maciek Sieczka werchowyna at epf.pl
Sun Jul 3 16:45:34 EDT 2005

From: "Paul Kelly" <paul-grass at stjohnspoint.co.uk>

>> zooming in v.digit changes resolution in region settings
>> http://intevation.de/rt/webrt?serial_num=2962&display=History
>
> Just a little comment that I think it is a nice feature that v.digit
> shares
> the region with the location rather than the 5.x and earlier v.digit which
> by default used the region in the header of the vector map. But obviously
> more thought needs to go into how the location region and the map region
> interact and I don't use v.digit any more so am unable to contribute.

That's absolutely right that the region extent should be changing along
panning in v.digit, very usefull. Yet the resolution shouldn't change along
zooming. And I can't understand why it does, kill me. It is a bug. With this
bug present, it is impossible to digitize with a given accuracy. The
accuracy must not be changing while digitizing. What's more, I guess that
crashes in v.digit when zooming in/out are related. Disabling this floating
resolution might propably be a cure for crashing as well (correct me if
talking rubbish).

(I'm not addressing this particulary to you Paul; that's a comment for
somebody in charge of v.digit; if there is such).

>> r.info displays the '(zone 0)' message in any location
>> http://intevation.de/rt/webrt?serial_num=3054&display=History
>> (A lot mess there, sorry! Go to the bottom of the page, there is a fresh
>> comment by me).
>
> I suppose that dates back to when UTM was the only projection GRASS
> supported and thus zone was always relevant. I wouldn't like to try fixing
> it without risking breaking something else. It is a harmless "feature", is
> it not?

Rather a bug I still think. It was really puzzling me when I was starting
learning about projections. GRASS was my first GIS.

I was wondering then "why the hack the '(zone 0)' information when my
projection is, say 'stere'? Well, it's got to be I again don't know another
something". And as it was impossible to sort it out (logically), the
conclussion was "I'm stupid. I better wait until I understand it someday."

Please spare this frustration to new GRASS users. When you are a beginner
and don't SO MANY things, another one is the one too much. Besides, it looks
unproffessional (however unprofessional it was of me not to know that 'zone
(number)' doesn't apply to any projection besides UTM ;).

BTW r.info - there is an information 'Number of Categories' in it's output.
While it should be 'Max category' actually. Example - you have following
categories in your raster: 1, 2, 40. Is the 'Number of categories' 40? No it
isn't, right? But that's what r.info says. Another frustration for
disoriented beginner.

I agree these shouldn't be touched in 6.0, but how about fixing them in 6.1?

Maciek