[GRASS5] GRASS 6.0.1 release question

Hamish hamish_nospam at yahoo.com
Tue Jul 5 00:30:48 EDT 2005

> > > Is it really critical for 6.0.1? Which distro comes with gcc4?
> > > Since it's half done only for 6.1, I suggest to postpone it
> > > for 6.0.2 so that we have time for testing.

AKAIK:
Fedora Core 4, MacOSX 10.4; Debian's development branches, but they are
currently undergoing a lot of change so I think we can get away without
supporting them for a little while. It's easy enough to patch 6.0.1 with
the existing gcc4 fixes and let any problems get sorted out in the
DebianGIS repository before committing to Debian/unstable; and if that
goes smoothly look at putting them in the GRASS 6.0 release branch.
(use testing for testing and release branches for stable code after all)

Debian has a gcc-3.4 package that can be installed along side a default
install of gcc-4.0 too.....

> Well, I still think that it is a good idea to get the current
> code published. Changes for gcc4 are quite intrusive (correct me
> if I am wrong), are not yet finished, not tested completely etc.
> There is a possibility to publish 6.0.2 for that.

Although I don't have any experience with them, the gcc4 fixes are
indeed new and lightly tested.

So there remain several bugs in various places that we don't like in
6.0.1, but I agree there is no strong reason to wait. As you say, there
can always be a 6.0.2. In fact I think we should certainly keep the
6.0.x line alive for a while and there should one-day be a 6.0.3 and
even .4 -- give you something stable to write a 3rd ed. book on e.g.

If d.where is giving wrong results, I do hope we can fix that before
we get to 6.0.1-final ... Segfaulting etc is an inconvenience, but
silently reporting the wrong answer is very bad.

On the other side, should we plan on gcc4 support for 5.4.1? --As 5.4.1
might be the last of the GRASS 5's? Depends on how serious the imagery
lib changes are I guess.

Hamish