[GRASS5] v.in.ascii

Radim Blazek radim.blazek at gmail.com
Tue Jul 5 03:49:24 EDT 2005

On 7/5/05, Hamish <hamish_nospam at yahoo.com> wrote:

> > > I agree. What about "if only points in the map, then no topology"?
> ..
> > Anyway, we cannot change default behaviour in 6.x, that would break
> > existing scripts and applications.
>
> If points do not use topology, how could not building topology for
> points-only vectors break existing scripts or applications?

Topology considered to be part of vector in GRASS 6.0 and it is built
by default.
Most vector modules expect that topology is available and they try to
open vector
on level to. If it fails the module prints error and exits. Try to
delete 'topo' file
from a vector and run some vector modules on it.

> Some modules might need to be adjusted, but wouldn't the user be
> presented with the same thing at the both data & functionality levels
> either way?

This is not clear to me, can you explain it more?

BTW, we talk about topology, but the topo file contains also:
- bounding box of the map
- number of lines of each type
- bounding box for each element

Radim