[GRASS5] [bug #3011] (grass) d.mon CELL doesn't work

Glynn Clements glynn at gclements.plus.com
Sat Jul 23 20:02:15 EDT 2005

Maciek Sieczka via RT wrote:

> CELL driver was never ported to 6.1. And there was a discussion about getting
> rid of CELL driver for good.
>
> What are your conlusions? Is it really a good idea not to support this
> solution anymore? As I understand (never used it), CELL driver lets me dump
> the screen content directly into Grass raster, together with the color table,
> right?
>
> If so, d.out.png + r.in.gdal (+r.composite in case of over 8 bit image dumps)
> is less comfortable and requires an intermediate file. Besides, it will be
> hard to obtain an *exact* copy of the over 8-bit colour display with
> r.composite, no?

The preferred solution is the PNG driver, plus r.in.gdal[1] if you
want to import the image as a map (I have no idea why you would; it's
unlikely to be georeferenced correctly).

Note that the PNG driver can create 8-, 24- or 32-bpp PNG files, plus
24-bpp PPM files with an optional PGM mask file.

[1] Or, preferably, r.in.png once I add it to 6.1; I've only just
realised it was missing.