[GRASS5] vector maps: use .tmp directory, then final directory

Radim Blazek radim.blazek at gmail.com
Thu Jul 28 09:12:43 EDT 2005

On 7/28/05, Markus Neteler <neteler at itc.it> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> can we change the vector library to first write into
> the .tmp directory (as done for raster data) and then
> copy into the target directory within vector/?
> Like this we also had the "transactional" file management.
>
> Currently, if a vector command fails (crash, connection to
> remote machine fails, disk full or other problems), it leaves
> corrupted files which appear to be a valid vector map.

Certainly not for update - Vect_open_update().
For new vectors, it would be possible if a table is not created.
If a table is created before/with geometry, we must store
somewhere the information that the table exists, so that it can
be deleted with the vector map.

If a vector map is corrupted, it is reported by library
(size of coor file).

Radim