[GRASS5] [bug #3342] (grass) many small v. and db. man page bugs

Request Tracker grass-bugs at intevation.de
Fri Jun 10 14:43:23 EDT 2005

this bug's URL: http://intevation.de/rt/webrt?serial_num=3342

$ man v.to.db
DESCRIPTION
v.to.db load values from vector to database.

Add there "or report to stdout" or something, otherwise one needs to
read deep into the man page to find out v.to.db can do that.

$ man db.execute
       echo 'create table soils ("cat" int, "soiltype" text)' | db.execute
But the user will ask "I found I didn't need the double quotes".
SEE ALSO
       ...db.tables, GRASS SQL interface
You mean
       ...db.tables(1), sql(1).
$ man db.describe
Same problem as above, and also "GRASS 5.7 tutorial pages" embedded
into the man page. Best not to embed version numbers there.

$ man v.in.ascii
       columns=string
              Columns definition for points mode in SQL style, for example:

       x=integer
              Number  of  column  used as x coordinate (first column is 1) for
              points mode.  Default: 1

I there a missing example, or is x=integer part of it?  The user can't
tell by the indentation...

Why the billion newlines?
$ man v.in.ascii |sed '/are as follows:/,$!d'|od -c|sed 's/[0-9 ]\+//g'
Theprimi
tivecodesarea
sfollows:\n\n\n\n\n\n
\n\n\n\n\n\n\n\n\n
Thecoordinates

$ man v.to.points
       v.to.points creates points along input lines.
OK, but also mention what ends up in the database files, just the
points created, or other previous things too.  And what layers they
end up on.

$ man v.db.connect
   Connect vector map to database (PostgreSQL driver)
       db.describe -c map=vectormap <--Remove this whole line!

P.S.:
$ ls grassdata/shangcheng/addressing/dig_att
eeee  kk
I must have made them somehow, but I can't list them with
g.list. I even tried:
IFS=, set -x rast,rast3d,vect,oldvect,asciivect,\
icon,labels,sites,region,region3d,group,3dview
set $@; for i do g.list type=$i;done

[Sorry once again to send fragments, but it takes about a minute to
send each email, so tough to fit into one modem call... will use
separate messages if more than just fragments...]