[GRASS5] PATCH: sql expression parser

Daniel Calvelo Aros dcalvelo at minag.gob.pe
Sat Jun 11 14:29:26 EDT 2005

[me]
> Might including
> the generated files (lex.yy.c and y.tab.c) in the "source" distribution be a
> solution?

[Paul]
> That sounds like quite a good idea... I've noticed in some free software
> projects they don't even include the generated configure script in CVS and
> the user has to generate it themselves with autoconf. In GRASS the
> developers always generate the configure script; maybe "pre-generating"
> the lex and yacc files and storing in CVS would be a worthwhile idea.

[Glynn]
> That's a bad idea, IMHO.
>
> Either developers will forget to commit them when lex.l or yac.y
> change, or they will end up being committed when lex.l or yac.y
> haven't changed (due to different lex/yacc programs generating subtly
> different code). Also, CVS doesn't deal with timestamps correctly, so
> there can be version skew issues.

Well, on the one hand, the files hadn't been touched since circa 2001.

> It would be better to just ensure that all lex/yacc files can be
> processed by any version of these tools. It shouldn't be that hard;
> we aren't doing anything particularly complex with lex/yacc.

On the other hand, having a "portable" input feels more correct. What needs to
be done in order to fix that? Linux, MacOSX (because of GNU, I believe) work
Ok. We spotted problems with solaris, and so far they are minor.  Whitespace
is no issue. Let's just make solaris happy. Comments are more important, IMHO.
Paul, could you try moving the comments within the "C" part of the code?

Daniel.