[GRASS5] [bug #3350] (grass) ps.map: vpoints draws before grid

Maciek Sieczka werchowyna at epf.pl
Sun Jun 19 05:50:09 EDT 2005

From: "Hamish" <hamish_nospam at yahoo.com>

> Hi Maciek,
>
>> > In ps.map, vpoint "markers" are drawn under the grid lines. Not sure
>> > if same is true for vector lines, but markers should go on top. Need
>> > to have a call in ps_map.c after do_grid() to call do_vectors().
>
> Done in CVS by adding do_vpoints().
>

>> Wouldn't it be usefull for any element to be rendered by the order of
>> appearance in the file containing mapping instructions?
>>
>> So the vpoints (or any other element) could be drawn over or under the
>> grid (or any other piece of map), as the user wishes.
>
> Is this with respect to a specific preference or just a general idea?

My preference and my (?) idea and usefull for others I think. But I don't
mean to insist.

> Vectors of the same masking level are drawn in the order you list them.
>
> You can control the order further by using "masked [y|n]" for the
> features that support that.

> Masked features are drawn first, even if
> there isn't a mask in place.

I didn't know that. Could it be put in the manual?

> Letting people draw text or scalebars on top of or under a legend, e.g.,
> isn't very high on my priority list. The idea is that by default it does
> the "right thing". i.e.:
>
> General order:
>
> 1. raster maps
> 2. vector maps (areas & lines)
> 3. grid lines
> 4. point markers, symbols/icons, including vector points
> 5. labels, text, legends, scalebars, etc.
>

> How would you rearrange that list?

Looks ok. Do you mind putting the "General order:" you listed in the manual
as well, somewhere in the begining?

WISH: anyway total freedom in arranging the order and rendering by the order
in instructions file would make things clear and simple. I understand though
there is notime for doing it now.

BTW talking of ps.map - are you planning to unify the method for describing
the position of different map elements? Settling for units of the hardcopy
(cm in my preference :)) for all instructions would be an important
improvement IMO, instead of geographical and percents mixed with inches.

I think a big improvement would also be choosing only one method for the
fontsize in all instructions, dropping "width" sub-instruction in "text"
section, adding "bold" and "italics" for all instructions realated to font.
Do you think these would be usefull and possible to apply?

Much thanks for taking care of ps.map.

Maciek