[GRASS5] v.in.ascii

Thomas Adams Thomas.Adams at noaa.gov
Wed Jun 22 13:24:59 EDT 2005

Hamish,

So, are you saying if I have x,y,z data, I should use columns=3? What if
I have x,y,z,t data, where z is an elevation and t is some value? I
assume columns=4? Does GRASS know the difference between z and t?
Another question is how does this relate to gstat use within GRASS6;
does gstat know the variable I'm interested in is t and not z?

Regards,
Tom

Hamish wrote:

>>There was a change in in.c implemented 4 weaks ago see
>>http://freegis.org/cgi-bin/viewcvs.cgi/grass6/vector/v.in.ascii/
>>Could this have broken the example shown by Hamish?
>>

>That's the one.  The coltype2[] that gets sent to points_to_bin() on line
>389 is only populated if the columns= option is used. Otherwise it is
>being used uninitialized.  No gcc warning for uninitialized pointers?
>
>Changing that back to "coltype" makes it work again for me.
>
>work-around: be sure to use columns=
>

>Hamish

Thomas E Adams
National Weather Service