[GRASS5] v.in.ascii

Hamish hamish_nospam at yahoo.com
Wed Jun 22 21:36:17 EDT 2005

> So, are you saying if I have x,y,z data, I should use columns=3? What
> if I have x,y,z,t data, where z is an elevation and t is some value?
> I assume columns=4? Does GRASS know the difference between z and t?

from the help page:
Parameters:
[...]
  columns   Columns definition for points mode in SQL style, for example:
     'x double precision, y double precision, cat int, name varchar(10)'
[...]
Flags:
  -z   create 3D file
  -t   Do not create table in points mode.

The column= parameter lets you name the attribute columns. I think the
code that is causing this bug was to let you override the automatically
determined column type. If you don't use columns= it just names them
str_1, int_1, int_2, etc.

If you have x,y,z data you can choose if you want it stored as a 3D
points file* (&/or without a DB table) or a 2D points file with one
containing a z attribute column of a numerical type. Additional columns
can be whatever you like, and most modules should give you the choice of
which column you want to use.

[*] use -z and z=

> Another question is how does this relate to gstat use within GRASS6;
> does gstat know the variable I'm interested in is t and not z?

No idea. If written for GRASS 6 then it *should* give you a choice.

Hamish